Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Soup and A Cookie (Chicken Kale and Quinoa Soup / Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies)


Here's a double recipe post for you.  One savoury and one sweet.  A healthy, hearty, delicious Chicken Kale and Quinoa soup and a chewy, nutty, sweet Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookie.  Yup, I made both today and ate both today, just so I blog this for you.  You're welcome.

Part 1: Chicken Kale and Quinoa Soup


It snowed this weekend.  Like a lot.  I was happy because I really wanted one last blast of the white stuff before spring.  When the snow started I doubted that it would last but the flakes kept coming.  I love snow covered trees and watching snow fall.  The girls were happy...I already fed them, bathe them, coloured, played games and watched some Disney Jr.  I was even willing to play outside again (we played Sunday afternoon) but Little Miss C said no thanks.  So, on a very snowy Monday, I let them entertain each other and while I spent the afternoon sitting on the couch reading (Insurgent, book 2 of the Divergent series) and watching the winter wonderland outside my window.

Front

Back
I felt guilty about my lazy Monday so I told myself to be more productive today (Tuesday)...I digress. My point is: it's snowy, it's super cold and I wanted to make soup for dinner.  I found this recipe because I liked the ingredients in it but I didn't really follow it.  I made my own version.

Chicken Kale and Quinoa Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: About 45 mins
Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 4 pieces of bacon, chopped
  • Ground chicken (or use boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 8 cups of chicken stock (low sodium)
  • 1 Knorr homestyle chicken stock concentrate (no water needed)
  • 1 cup of baby carrots
  • 2/3 cup of quinoa, rinsed
  • A bunch of kale
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions
In large soup pot, pan fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on a plate covered with paper towel, set aside. Remove all but about one tablespoon of bacon fat in pot. Cook the chicken until no longer pink. Remove from pot. Add onion, garlic and bay leaves and sauté until fragrant. Deglaze the pot with some chicken stock. Be sure to scrape all the brown bits from the pot. Add the rest of the chicken stock and Knorr concentrate. Return the chicken to the pot. Add carrots, quinoa and kale. Stir and simmer for about 15 mins until quinoa is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve in bowls and garnish with bacon bits.

Classic: soup and a sandwich


Part 2: Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


Really, these should be called Toffee Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Maple Cinnamon Oatmeal cookies but that's just ridiculous.  They also taste ridiculous.  In a great way.  I don't have much else to say.  The name says it all.  This is my adaptation of monster cookies found from this recipe and this recipe.  My house smelled scrumptious while these were baking.  They're great warm and still chewy when completely cooled.  So good.  So, so good!

Toffee Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen large cookies

INGREDIENTS:
3 1/2 cups oats
1 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
½ cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 tbsp maple extract (I used maple syrup)
1 package of Heath toffee bits
1 package of chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.

Mix together oats, almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, set aside.


Using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.  Add peanut butter and maple and beat for about 2 minutes.  Scrape down the bowl then add dry ingredients.  


Mix on low until all ingredients are combined.  


Add toffee and chocolate chips and mix until distributed.  


Use a large cookie scoop or form about ¼ cup balls.  


Bake for 8-9, until edges are starting to brown.  


Remove from oven and leave on cookie sheet for about 5 mins then transfer to cooling rack.













2 comments:

  1. Ugh, the snow! Lol. It prevented you from coming to the cupcake party! I have to admit, it IS pretty to look at. Not so much fun driving in but thankfully the roads are all clear. Yum, both recipes look fantastic! I'll feel so good after eating the hearty, healthy soup that I won't feel too bad about eating a dozen of these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nance...I was so sad to miss your cupcakes. I'm glad you were successful in your fundraiser! You have to try these cookies. I had intentions of giving some away but they're SO good...I'm seriously hoarding them.

      Delete